Be an Ass. Become a Legend.

Knutsen
Newcomer
Topic Author

Voting process

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Yesterday during the first hours of playing, the dungeon voting process didn't feel exactly right to me, and I thought a little bit about why. :)

Firstly voting isn't possible when you are dying really soon - and that's good. But the voting is allowed to soon. I think the barrier after you are able to vote is somewhat around 30 seconds? Sometimes - especially when proceeding really careful in the level for the first time, you only know one or two rooms, before you suddenly die. ;) And I didn't feel able to vote at this point, cause I didn't know nothing about the whole dungeon so far...

Secondly personally I would go even further: I think you shouldn't be able to vote, if you didn't complete the whole dungeon or if you didn't manage to get into the last room. Because knowing the whole dungeon - or at least the main part of it - should be necessary for a good foundation of a vote.

Thirdly I had to vote even if I played the same dungeon earlier, gave even a rating and even wrote a sentence about it. I think there should be a question: "You already voted, do you want to change your opinion?" Cause that was a little bit tidious giving the vote again and then no extended rating, thanks, and no comment about the dungeon, sorry... ;)
#teamred #redass

tim
Homepage Hero

Re: Voting process

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Sounds interesting to me. Maybe one should have seen a certain percentage of all rooms that should not be too small, maybe 80%?

Technically the feature for not-voting again would require a list of dungeons you played and voted on. This is not yet logged. But if we save the last 10 dungeons somebody plays und votes on, we could also solve the problem of getting the same dungeon over and over again...

joh
Client Coder

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Thank you for the feedback!

There's a few problems with setting flat percentages regarding how much % of a dungeon must have been seen. For one, it would be extremely easy for players to force their dungeon a "neutral" rating (unrated dungeons are treated as having a rating of 3/5), by making it impossible for normal players to reach the end (e.g. by arrangements that require prior knowledge in order to reach the end). These dungeons are possible now, but heavily discouraged since they will quickly earn a bad rating, and thus yield no advantages (and are mostly filtered out by the selection process). True, to some extent this can be negated by leaving out dungeons with very low winrates, but I'd rather filter them out before frustrating tons of players.

The other problem is that you can create great dungeons that allow several pathways throughout the dungeons. For example, you may offer the player two or more paths they can choose when going through a dungeon. This is a concept that players explored in the first alpha. Those dungeons were highly rated and were absolutely great! Again, a flat percentage would put these at a heavy disadvantage, since on a normal playthrough you only see ~50% (or less, depending on the amount of choices)

It's true that the current system with the time limit is suboptimal, and is mainly chosen to filter out players who immediatly left. Since in the end, if someone died very early in the dungeon, well, then they DO have an opinion of value: Likely that the dungeon is unfair, and therefore requires a bad rating.
I'm open for discussion regarding that topic, though! Thanks again for the feedback!! :)

I absolutely agree that you should not be asked to re-vote on dungeons that you've previously voted on (or as you suggest, allow a possible reroll of an opinion). This will hopefully become less of a problem as more dungeons are added, but until then, that feature sounds very good to me. :)
Developing the Client.

Knutsen
Newcomer
Topic Author

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:55 pm

joh wrote:
I absolutely agree that you should not be asked to re-vote on dungeons that you've previously voted on (or as you suggest, allow a possible reroll of an opinion). This will hopefully become less of a problem as more dungeons are added, but until then, that feature sounds very good to me. :)

Additionally you can play dungeons several times in a row via the wilderness outside the village. :) I died in one of these dungeons right now like ten times cause I really wanted to beat it. ;) And I succeeded in the end. But I had to vote every time...
#teamred #redass